Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Double Trouble Chocolate Chip Cookies

Double Chocolate chip cookie1

The trouble part comes from the fact, they can be slightly addictive.

I know its getting too hot here to be baking cookies, but sometimes a girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do.  I was having a massive chocolate craving, and I was feeling that pang of guilt having not blogged anytime recently

This recipe is an extra chocolatey modification of a family recipe for chocolate chip cookies that my Grandma W. has been making as far back as I can remember.  At every family gathering, there would be the big plastic rectangle container filled to the very top with these cookies.  I perched on the edge of a kitchen chair helping Grandma make them more than a few times(she always set aside a bit of chocolate chips for me to munch on, it was my favourite part!). 

The original recipe is from a yellowed old paper clipping, Grandma can’t recall exactly where it was taken from(as she has a huge stash of recipes clipped just like it).  When I married and moved in with my husband (4 years ago Thursday!)  I asked for the recipe and she simply jotted it down from memory.  I love when I make them, as it brings me back to being perched on that chair sneaking chocolate chips while Grandma showed me how to measure ingredients.

My husband actually had a hand in this adaptation, adjusting some of the amounts of sugar to his liking, as this was the first thing I taught him to bake (sometimes I think he even makes them better than me, but shhh, don’t tell).  There is just nothing sexier than a man who bakes (okay so that might just be my opinion) but I’m so glad that he quickly learned that recipes are fun to play around with.

Double Chocolate chip cookie3-2

This variation is thick, dangerously chocolately and nice and soft on the inside without falling apart in your hands.

Double Trouble Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes approx 3 dozen or so cookies

Ingredients

  • 1 Cup Butter
  • ¾ Cup White Sugar
  • ¾ Cup Brown sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Tsp Vanilla
  • 2 Cup Flour
  • 1 Tsp Baking soda
  • ½ Tsp Salt
  • 2/3 Cup Cocoa
  • 2 Cup Chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats, set aside.
  2. Cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well again, scraping bowl occasionally.
  3. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in bowl. Sift in cocoa powder. Gradually add dry ingredients to sugar mixture, mix just until combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
  4. Place by tablespoonfuls couple inches apart onto lined baking sheets. I like to leave mine heaped or rolled into a ball for a nice thick cookie.
  5. Bake in oven for approximately 8 minutes or until edges and some of the middle is set…cookies will continue to bake as you take them out of the oven.  Wait a couple of minutes before transferring to racks to cool.
  6. Once cool store in an airtight container.

The dough freezes well, as do the cookies themselves. If it’s very warm in your kitchen or you find the dough very soft, you can also chill the dough before baking.

Double Chocolate chip cookie2

You can add ½ cup chopped nuts when adding the chocolate chips. Feel free to change the flavour of chocolate chips, white or peanut butter would taste fantastic!

4 comments:

  1. I love those cookies, I made them and there were such a success in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look so yummy...great photo... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a temptation to my diet!!!

    I'm also into the food blog world, and it would be great if you can take a look at my site and leave me any comment/suggestion.

    Take care and keep posting!
    http://youarecookingblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this recipe last week. They are amazing!!! My new favorite cookie!

    ReplyDelete